Excire Search Lightroom Classic CC Plugin
The Excire Search Lightroom plugin is a high-performance search engine that runs locally on your Mac or Windows.
Once installed, it can power different modules designed for different search tasks.
Before using Excire Search, your photos must be initialized. The initialization will use smart previews if available and will otherwise process the original photos to extract the features needed for a search. If you store your images on an external device or on network mounted directories, please make sure that the corresponding directories and files are accessible during initialization. Note that the Excire Search plug-in will never alter your photos.
- To start initialization, please go to Library→Plug-in Extras→Excire Search→Initialize photos… or press ⌥⌘I.
- In the window that appears, please select the folders containing the images you would like to initialize.
- Press the start button to start initialization.
- The status of the initialization is displayed in the Adobe Lightroom status section (see upper left corner of Adobe Lightroom) where you can stop the initialization if you wish.
- Initialization may take some time and will end by providing a short summary.
- We recommend disabling the sleep mode of your Mac OS X computer before you start the initialization, especially for larger image sets.
- For huge datasets, we also recommend running the initialization overnight.
If you edit some of your photos, you might want to re-initialize their signatures to keep them up-to-date. We also recommend doing update checks regularly or directly after editing photos (Library→Plug-in Extras→Excire Search→Update Photos… or ⌥⇧⌘I).
The Excire Search functionalities are included in the “Plug-in Extras” menu (Library→Plug-in Extras→Excire Search). All functions can also be accessed directly by using the following keyboard shortcuts:
- “Search by example photo” (⌥⇧⌘X): Search for photos that are similar to one or more selected photos. *
- “Search by example photo with previous” (⌥⌘X): Search with previous settings – no dialogue appears. *
- “Search by keyword…” (⌥⌘C): Keyword-based image search. **
- “Initialize photos…” (⌥⌘I): Initialize photos before they can be searched.
- “Update photos…” (⌥⇧⌘I): Look for photos that were edited recently, and update their mathematical description.
- “Undo last search” (⌥⌘Z): Undo the last photo search.
Your search results will be presented to you in a collection called “Excire Search”. After your first search, you must set the sort option to “Custom Order” (View→Sort→Custom Order) in this collection. Alternatively, you can use the small pop-up menu right below the grid view of your folders and catalogue. If the sort option is not set to “Custom Order”, the images cannot be properly displayed by similarity.
* Excire Search EX, ** Excire Search CT
Please note that Excire Search will never store, process or transfer any kind of personal data. Your images are only processed to extract the features, i.e. the mathematical descriptors that are stored locally and are only used for the similarity search. These signatures do not contain any personal data.
Excire Search is not registered as an additional plug-in, or is not enabled
- If Excire Search does not appear in the plug-in list, you can add it manually by first opening the plug-in manager (File→Plug-In Manager), then pressing “Add” and selecting the excire-search.lrplugin plugin file in your Applications/Excire Search folder. Finally, you have to activate it in the plug-in manager.
- If the plugin is already listed in the plug-in manager but is still disabled, please press the “enable” button to activate it.
Search results seem inadequate
- Proper similarity ranking requires the sorting option to be set to “Custom Order”. Please make sure you have activated this option for the Excire Search collection (View→Sort→Custom Order).
- Excire Search EX: Excire Search EX: Try using different search options, e.g. “Color” instead of the default option “Combined”.
My computer is slow after initialization
- This is a Lightroom problem that occurs when a large collection is shown for a long period of time. We recommend avoiding this by selecting a directory or collection with fewer images.
Possible error messages after initialization
Image formats not supported
- Excire Search supports various image formats, including different camera raw formats. For support of new camera models, please continuously update your “Digital Camera Raw Compatibility” Mac OSX software.
Images not found
- Images can only be initialized if the corresponding smart previews already exist, or if the images that are stored on an internal or external data storage device are accessible during initialization. To conduct a similarity search, it is not necessary that the images be accessible after successful initialization.
Supported image formats
- JPG, JPG2000, PNG, TIFF
- Adobe DNG
- Various camera raw formats (see supported formats of “Digital Camera Raw”)